Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Here's a realization I just made: I'm terrible at writing poetry.

It probably runs in the genes - all my dad ever writes are cheesy 4-liners that start out with "roses are red, violets are blue", and I've definitely followed suit in that respect. However, I figured that if I really tried hard that I would be able to write some touching and meaningful poetry to someone who really deserved it.

An hour and a half and a blank page later, and I'm realizing I was wrong. I've got nothing. Zilch. Nada (that's how they say it in Spain). So how do I really express my love and appreciation towards someone?


Mom, I have been absolutely blessed to have you as my mother. There are so many instances I can think of where you loved me and treated me so much better than I ever deserved to be treated. You are hilarious, always thoughtful, caring, have incredible music taste, patient, go the extra mile to see other people smile, an amazing wife, and an incredible mom. I'm so lucky to have someone as awesome as you to show me firsthand what a true woman of God looks like. Thanks for putting in all of the countless hours helping me with applications, passports, visas, and scholarships to make this study abroad experience possible and enjoyable for me. I legitimately couldn't have done it without you! I can't wait to hug you and walk around Spain with you and your stylin' new Chaco's. You are the greatest mother EVER, and I love you so stinkin' much!


Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I hope that after reading this,
You'll need a tissue.

You mean so much to me, Momma! Happy mother's day!

Brad.
 

3 comments:

  1. If your mom doesn't need a tissue (which I am sure she will) I know I sure did. Great poem Brad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, you know me too well. I needed the tissue at "Mom..." Thanks for the blog shout out, the phone call and the love. I have the best kids in the world. The best kids a mother could ask to have. The best kids that God loans out! Loving you, Brad! I'm so lucky to be your momma! Can hardly wait for that Brad-sized hug. Shoot, the tissue is needed again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, she even had a tear when she told me about it. Nice job of loving your Mom on her special day.

    ReplyDelete