Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is such an interesting holiday to me. As I was doing my daily "Facebook stroll" today, I saw all sorts of different responses - some people were infatuated and thankful for their relationships, others seemingly in denial, and even more were bitter.

No matter what the response to the holiday, it seems the obvious idea behind it all is love. I'm the first to admit that I'm a romantic when it comes to love - I believe that there's such thing as "the one". That nothing happens out of coincidence. That nice guys finish first. That life can be like a fairy tale. That chivalry is everything but dead. That true love is real.

Reflecting on the holiday from Spain, I realized how thankful I am for all of the people that love me so much in my life.

My friends - From Kanakuk to K-State to Spain, I've been blessed with some of the most fun and supportive friends anyone could ask for.



My family - I've been so fortunate to learn and grow from the greatest family ever. Being the youngest of 3 children, I've gotten to grow up with two of the most godly women in the world as my sisters, and I have the greatest example I could ever ask for in a Christ-driven relationship and marriage through my parents.



My girlfriend - Kathryn is one of the most thoughtful, caring, Christ-centered, beautiful, hilarious people that I've ever met. Learning to communicate amidst a long-distance relationship (that got even longer this semester) has been trying at times, but Kathryn is always there to encourage and love me. I'm so grateful for the way that she points me to Christ and makes me smile every day.



My God - "Greater love has no one than this - that someone lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8

"for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." - Romans 6:23

Daily I am humbled by what Christ has done for me. For me. Yes, Christ died for the sins of everyone, but he did it specifically for you and for me. How amazing of a thought is it that a man with that kind of power died for someone as small and insignificant as me? Christ showed the ultimate love, true love, through his dying on the cross. That motivates me daily to live for him.


Love God. Love others. Happy Valentine's Day.

Brad.


3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!!! I love you dearly and wish you the very best Valentine's Day ever. Keep on postin' these great "Spain" posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great showing of love. Love reading your posts, and love having you as a nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever." Psalm 52:8
    Amen, Braddy! As you travel among the Sevilla olive trees, may you flourish in the house of God, trusting in His unfailing love for ever and ever. I love you!

    ReplyDelete