Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Trip to Ireland


The last part of my journey throughout the United Kingdom ended in Ireland. I boarded a bus to the Edinburgh airport at 4:15am, and hopped on a plane to Dublin at 6:20. The early morning plane ride didn't make my first day in Dublin any less eventful, though.

Trinity College
After getting to Dublin, dropping my bag off at the hostel that I was staying at - U2's old recording studio for the first 15 years of their career - and experiencing a "breakfast roll" (a conglomerate of meats, eggs, potatoes, and sauce in a baguette made and served from local Irish convenient stores), I set out to see the city. Similar to Edinburgh, Dublin was a very walkable city, especially because my hostel was right in the city centre.

I kept walking, and luckily there were signs to the main tourist attractions around the city. My first main trip was to visit Trinity College. Trinity College is the most prestigious college in Ireland, the college of Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, and Jonathan Swift, over 40o years old, and the home of the famous Book of Kells (they were available to see, but no pictures were allowed to be taken).


Front Entrance of Trinity College.

After learning how to do it in Edinburgh, I quickly became a pro at joining tour groups. I overheard a student giving a tour, and jumped in easily. It was fun hearing about the student life both historically and in the present day, and to hear all the random facts about the university. And, as if there needed to be any more reason to visit, the campus was absolutely gorgeous.


Dublin City Walking Tour
I continued on my trek by following the tourist's signs to Dublin Castle. After seeing Edinburgh's, the Dublin Castle was a little bit of a letdown (although it was still pretty awesome!), but the tour that I quickly joined and laughed with was definitely not! The tour told us all about Dublin's history, both in the ancient times and more recently, and took us all over the city. I learned that Dublin is named after the Irish words "dubh linn", which means "black pool". The picture taken below, right outside of Dublin Castle, used to be a black pond that was useful in trading way back when...? I don't know if that all makes sense, but I promise it's something close to that!

Area outside of the Dublin Castle that used to be underwater, giving the city its name.

We also got to see the building where U2 used to practice as teenagers, the beautiful Christchurch Cathedral and the infamous Temple Bar district. We also saw a demonstration of what it looked like to live as a Viking, with up to 20 people living in a small house and "spooning" in one or two different beds. Glad I didn't volunteer for THAT demonstration!

Christchurch Cathedral.

Viking "spooning" simulation. Woof.

Project Arts Centre, where U2 got their start.

For the sake of comfortability (and not getting caught), I ended up leaving when the tour group split for lunch, but really enjoyed my second bummed tour of the day.

Guinness Storehouse
Possibly the biggest tourist attraction in all of Dublin is the Guiness Storehouse, where Guinness brewed all of their beer from 1902 to 1988 before opening it up to the public. It was a great place to learn about the history of Guinness (for anyone who thinks that God doesn't work through the beer industry, check this link out) and try a pint of beer on the top floor of the Storehouse overlooking Dublin. I also got to learn how to properly taste beer and pour the perfect pint. Awesome stuff.

Guiness Storehouse.

Arthur Guinness - the man with the plan.

Top floor view of the city with a pint of Guinness.
Irish Bar Scene
That night, I hit up the Temple Bar district and enjoyed a few drinks with the locals. Irish bars are always really fun because, similar to the stereotypes of the movies, there is live music everywhere and everyone is singing the native songs. I just stood there and took it all in.

Irish folk music's rendition of U2's "With Or Without You".
Easter Day Ceremony
Of all the days since I've been abroad, Easter Sunday might have been the day that I missed my family the most. Easter is one of the many holidays in which my family has pretty set traditions - sunrise service at church, Easter lunch, celebration of my sister and cousin's birthdays, and an Easter egg hunt for all the kids. It was hard knowing that I couldn't be there for the celebration, but it was fun to be able to take part in the Dublin Easter festivities.

As I was walking throughout the city in the morning, I heard a band playing on the main street near my hostel. What proceeded was a long ceremony commemorating Easter and remembering both Christ's death and the death of Irish soldiers in history. There were multiple bands, an Air Force flyover, and many more. Plus, I got to see the president of Ireland, something you don't get the opportunity to do every day!



President of Ireland walking next to a general in the Irish army.

Overall, it was a day of rest and relaxation - humbly reminding me of the eternal life that I have but don't deserve through Christ's sacrifice, and reminding me how fortunate I am to have a God and a family that loves me so much.

Cliffs of Moher
The last full day I was in Ireland, I decided to take a day trip to Western Ireland and see the more genuine, original side of the Irish countryside. Since the climate in Ireland is so mild (around 50-70 degrees year-round), the grass everywhere was so green and gorgeous. I actually got to drive through and see where parts of the movies "P.S. I love You" and "Braveheart" were filmed.

I decided to take my tour through a family touring company, MacCoole Tours. My tour group consisted of 8 people - 4 from China, 1 from Malaysia, 1 from Spain, and 2 of us from the U.S. It was fun getting to talk to the girl from Spain in Spanish (one of very few times on my trip that I able to do that), learn more about the guys from China and Malaysia, and connect a little bit with the guy from the United States.

Our first stop on the tour was to the MacCoole family farm. We got to see their cows, newborn baby lambs, and took a guide hike with one of the family members up to the top of the Burren Hills and enjoy a magnificent view of the valley and ocean. When we got done with the tour, we got to go inside and get a homemade taste of Ireland through their mom and aunt's apple pie or carrot cake and some coffee.

The foothills of the burren, MacCoole Farms.

Our tour through the Burren.

My new friends Chekfoung (Malaysia), Disi (China), and Lara (Spain)


MacCoole Cottage, home cooking.


After visiting the farm, we made our way to Ireland's main attraction - the Cliffs of Moher. The Cliffs of Moher are giant cliffs located off of the Atlantic Ocean, and stand over 600 feet high and 5 miles long. Our tour bus was hurrying to get there, because the extent of visibility was uncertain - when we got there, it was windy and spitting rain. Even though the weather was rough, it couldn't stop me from enjoying the breathtaking view of the cliffs. I'm not one for extreme statements, but the Cliffs of Moher were the coolest things I have ever seen. The sun ended up coming up near the end of our time there, and the views were even more beautiful. I must have taken a hundred pictures there. It was just one of those times when I would look around, be amazed, and have to take another picture.





After the Cliffs of Moher, we went to a small town known for being the originator of Irish music, saw a couple of great views of the ocean and the countryside, and ended our time at a pub in Galway City before heading home.



I'm so glad that I decided to tour the other side of the country - it was a long and exhausting day full of amazing views and new friends.

St. Stephen's Green
To conclude my trip, I went and hung out at one of Dublin's famous parks, St. Stephen's Green. When I got done with my time at the park and was walking towards the airport bus, I ran into the same study abroad students that I had just met a week earlier in London! Small world.



---
So, there ended my two week long trip: I took the bus to the Dublin airport and got back to Sevilla around 8 that night. Reflecting on my trip, I don't think I could have asked for a better experience. I got to experience a great mix of bustling cities and tranquil countrysides, 19 hour days and relaxing days at a coffee shop, of new friends and established community.

Overlooking the Celtic Sea.

Now I'm back in Sevilla, with a refreshed appreciation for the city and culture of southern Spain, ready to make the most of the last month that I have here.

Brad.

No comments:

Post a Comment